Hidradenitis suppurativa is a skin disease that is recurrent and persistent. Although it is a case-to-case basis, most cases of Hidradenitis suppurativa cannot just be cured with one set of oral antibiotics or topical ointment.
The key in Hidradenitis suppurativa treatment is that the person should be able to identify the factors that further trigger his condition. The symptoms will show which treatment will work best for the person. Whichever stage of Hidradenitis suppurativa is the person experiencing, they key would always be an early Hidradenitis suppurativa treatment, which is vital in preventing the recurrence and spread of the lumps.
There are various types of treatment that a patient can choose from, depending on which one will be most effective for him. It will also depend on the severity of the case, and the urgency of treatment.
Living a healthy lifestyle is important in making sure that your skin is healthy, although bad hygiene is not the primary reason for the development of Hidradenitis suppurativa.
Here is a list of the best practices one can do to prevent the skin disease.
• Observe proper diet. Avoid food that are inflammatory, and observe a low-dairy diet. Avoiding food that is high in carbohydrates.
• Avoiding smoking can also alleviate the occurrence of symptoms in the skin. For patients who are already in severe cases, smoking cessation is strictly advised.
• Obesity can also aggravate symptoms of Hidradenitis suppurativa. Maintaining the ideal weight for your body will help improve your skin condition.
• Having warm baths with distilled vinegar water or using a warm compress can also help improve the condition of the skin.
• To alleviate the pain, the person can use icing around the inflamed or affected area.
Hidradenitis suppurativa treatment using medical methods:
• The use of oral antibiotics can help in controlling the inflammation of the affected areas. These are not directly used to treat the infection. Some of the most popular antibiotics used to treat are tetracycline, minocycline, and clindamycin. A combination of certain antibiotics such as rifampicin and clindamycin can be used for 2-3 months.
• Vitamin A supplements can help in improving the skin condition.
• Corticosteroid injections can also be used for localized disease.
• For hormonal cases, anti-androgen therapy can also be used to control the hormones that contribute to the occurrence of Hidradenitis suppurativa.
Hidradenitis suppurativa treatment using surgery and other treatments available
Apart from the medication, a person with a severe case of Hidradenitis suppurativa can also resort to surgery. A surgical excision can be used to remove the infected area and the affected tissues.
This answers the problem of persistence and recurrence of lumps in different areas of the body. Skin grafting will also be applied after the excision to bring back the health of the damaged skin.
Electron beam radiotherapy has also been used in some cases of Hidradenitis suppurativa. This has been proven to be successful, although it is not yet widely popular because of its other possible effects in the body.